31 October 2011

It's necessary.

Everyone has their own personal limit, and it just so happened that yesterday I hit mine. I didn’t lose it. I didn’t get angry. I didn’t cry. I just simply walked away. No really, I literally walked away. Perhaps it’s because I’m at the age in my life where I can easily flush the nonsense out of my life, where I can let go and move on to a lighter, more carefree sense of being.

Slowly but surely I’m distressing --knocking out lingering house projects and checking off my blackhole of a to-do list. Just little changes, but it’s the little things that adds up to make all the difference. I feel like my batteries have been recharged. A little less weight on my shoulders. A clear head. A feeling of renewal. Inspired.

And I like this feeling.



As I dug through the boxes labeled “Krysta’s Winter Clothes” and “Fall Décor”, I turned giddy –like schoolgirl crush type of giddy. Dude, it’s Autumn and Autumn is my FAVORITE season. It’s that time of year where I weed through our collected clutter, reorganize, and do away with the unnecessary to make plenty of room for the necessary. And there’s a lot of necessary that needs space in our home --like holiday festivities with loved ones, family meals by candlelight, and movie nights under thick quilts.







A fall food staple

Tulsa

I’ve never given Tulsa, Oklahoma two thoughts. Tulsa is now a necessary. I think of Tulsa everyday, and our friends that live there. And while I don’t make the trip or pick up the phone as much as I should, they still remain in my thoughts.


 Last weekend we tracked out for a weekend visit. We made the plans, bought the tickets, and made the drive out to Discoveryland… only to get chased out by potential tornadoes. After 30 minutes of the most tense oh my God, we’re going to die drive of my life, we made it back safe and sound.


And to think, the evening started out beautiful and peaceful. Mother Nature can be a beast.

Barnes & Noble

Oh yes. Barnes and Noble is completely necessary in the Roe Household. Once a week we set sail to the bookstore and drop our anchors firmly in the sand. We live in our own timezone, and when we’re on our own time frame, we go on any adventure that we please—sometimes it’s to Neverland with Peter Pan, other times it’s down the rabbit hole with Alice. Whether fly up with pixie dust, or fall down a hole to a magical land, we’re bound to have a blast. Because it’s just us. Together.





Academic Award

Krysta has worked so hard this year. She has limited her outside park play, in exchange for multiplication tables and learning words such as, photosynthesis and chronological order. There has been evenings where she studied and read her little patootie off until bedtime. Throughout the years, we’ve pushed her and encouraged her, and hopefully she’ll use the tools we’ve taught her to excel in the classroom.

All of her hard work was recognized this past Friday during an award ceremony as her school.

I’m so proud of my girl!




The Youngest Handsome

Just as it’s important that the biggest of my babes feels special, it’s equally important that the smallest feels just as big. William and I get our mommy-son time midday when our bellies are full from lunch and the sun as hit its peak. We cuddle under heavy blankets to read or watch cartoons or Wills favorite… jumping on the bed. Shhh, we won’t tell dad that part!

Bed jumping is necessary in any childhood memory, everyone knows that!




Haunt the Zoo

We love family outings. Big or small, we’ll take them. This weekend we went to Haunt the Zoo.

It. Was. Packed.

Just to get to the entrance, we waited in line for over an hour. Not to mention, we waited in line for every photo and candy booth. But, was it worth it? Absolutely! It’s always worth when there’s childhood memory making to be made.




Years from now Krysta will say, “Mom, do you remember that one time when we went trick-or-treating at the zoo?” And I’ll smile and say, “Yes”. Because I won’t remember the hours of waiting and the pushing and my bruised feet from other people stepping on them;  I’ll remember my babies smiles and their oh’s and ahh’s and the excitement and anticipation on their wide-eyed faces. Seriously, Krysta’s eyes were the size of quarters. She could barely contain her excitement!



Tonight is a big night for my lovies… It’s Halloween! A perfect ending to October.

Happy Trick-or-Treating,

Em

No comments:

Post a Comment